I was so excited that I got a big bag of red dates from my beloved friend. I was thinking what to do with them until I developed this recipe. Today was my second time baking this moist and delicious cake. You can have it as a breakfast or afternoon snack with a cup of tea. Let’s get baking ka!
Makes 2 loaves
2 cups dried red dates or 1 cup chopped dates
2 cups water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
3 orange peels
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp orange zest
1 cup cake flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/ 4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut or brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 butter, melted
2/4 cups canola oil
4 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
extra coconut sugar and chopped walnuts for topping the cake
- Place dried dates in a pot with water, cinnamon sticks, and orange peels. Bring to a boil and simmer until they are soften. Let it cool down. Drain water, remove cinnamon sticks, and orange peels. Pit the dates and chop into small pieces. Stir in sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, orange juice, orange zest, and mix together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together cake flour, whole wheat flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, canola oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add chopped walnuts and dates into the batter. Mix until combined.
- Grease the loft pans with cooking spray or use a parchment paper. Pour batter into the pans. Sprinkle some chopped walnuts, coconut sugar if desired. Tap the loft pans several times to get out the air bubbles.
- Place the loaf pans into preheated oven and bake about 35-45 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I reduced temperature to 325 degrees after baking for 20-25 minutes. Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack. Enjoy ka!